Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Kick those chemical to the curb


A number of blogs I've been reading lately have been about Spring Cleaning and the biggest trend in most of them is cleaning with homemade cleaners. I found each very interesting and worth giving a try, homemade cleaners are much safer for the family and they are much less expensive then the name brand cleaners I'm currently buying.
Since I was running out of my current household cleaner I decided to try and make my own. I checked out these websites and blogs for recipes for cleaners:
Macheesmo Cook Something
The CDC
Frugal Living
Of course each website had different recipes for cleaners, I took the best from each and adapted the formulas to fit my family's need and the size of the spray bottles I was using.
From there I created my shopping list.

Unfortunately I couldn't complete my shopping at one store. At Winco grocery I picked up the spray bottles, the baskets, Clorox, Borax, Baking Soda and the Vinegar. From Trader Joe's I found the Castle Soap and the Tea Tree Oil. I was also planning to buy Lavender oil at Michael's but since the Castle Soap I found was peppermint scented I didn't need it.

I have created three cleaners so far. A floor cleaner, an all purpose cleaner and a disinfectant spray. I was planning to make a bath, sink and tile cleaner but I didn't realize that it would be to think for a spray bottle so the next time I'm at the store I will pick up a squirt bottle so I can make that.


Floor Cleaner
(The spray bottles I  purchased have guidelines for solution measurements and measured to 16 oz)
1 parts vinegar
2 parts water
This solution is high in vinegar, you can certainly change the ratio to what you desire.

All Purpose Spray Cleaner
1/4 cup castle soap
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tsp Borax
3 1/2 cup hot water
You can also add lemon or citrus oil to this but I didn't because my Castle soap had a scent already.

Disinfectant Sprays: I made two different solutions one for Alexa's toys and high chair and one for the bathroom.

Alexa's Disinfectant Spray
2 cups water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 tsp tea tree oil

Bathroom Disinfectant Spray
2 cups water
1/4 tsp tea tree oil

I used my clear bottles for the cleaners that will remain in the kitchen and I made two sets of cleaner and the disinfectant spray (they are in the red and green bottles) and put them in the baskets for each bathroom.

I plan to make new homemade cleaners as I run out of my store brands, I'm running low on Windex and laundry detergent so those are next on my list to make.

Upon reveal of my new creations, Jacob said I've officially gone "overboard." Maybe I have, we will see after a few months. Until then I will continue to work toward my goals of organizing our household, saving us money and having fun in the process. I think this fell into all three categories since Jim and Jacob have been making fun of me since I made them. Aren't they just a treasure? (note the sarcasm in my voice).

Until next time,
Karri

This post was featured in The Christian Home Magazine 61st Edition, on Day by Day in Our World. 

Linking to:



I Heart Nap Time



6 comments:

  1. Karri, You're so industrious!! thank you for the recipes. I should try these myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gardenia, It was pretty fun making them. Made me think I should have taken chemistry.

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I just wanted to let you know I featured you today over at Blissful and Domestic. Stop by and grab a button:>

    Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff!
    I thought I might let you know that ammonia works great as a window cleaner. Doesn't smell good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I'll have to give it a try. I wonder if you put lavender in it the smell might be a bit better.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...