Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Going on a Road Trip


This weekend is the official start of Summer. I hope all of you have fun plans to celebrate this weekend. Our family is headed on a road trip to a huge basketball tournament for Jacob. This is his first year in this tournament and all the parents have told us it's nothing like the local tournament's we play in. I'm sure it will be overwhelming but fun.
Road trips for us are pretty easy now, Alexa will sleep most of the way and Jacob now plugs himself into his ipod and listens to music. Jim and I will usually talk about what's on the radio or about things at work. It's actually a great time for us to reconnect. We also love to play games and I have a few to share with you for your next road trip.

1. Line from a Movie - This was Jacob's favorite game when he was younger. This game works great when your child watches the same movies over and over again. It's simple just quote a movie line and everyone in the car needs to guess the movie and the character who said it.
For example: "Brimstone, don't be talking about no brimstone." answer - Donkey from Shrek

2. The ABC Game - Each player is on the lookout for words that containing each letter of the alphabet. Players can not use the same word and you can not use license plates. Here is an example - as we travel down the road I'm looking for a word with the letter A in it. I find an "End Road Work" sign and shout A Road. I'm now on the lookout for a word with the letter B and so on. First one to finish the alphabet is the winner.

3. 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon - We heard about this game a long time ago I'm not sure where. It works on the premise that you can connect any actor to Keven Bacon by 6 movies. Here is how it works.
Take the actor: Jack Black - Jack Black stared in Shallow Hal with Gwyneth Paltrow - Gwyneth Paltrow stared in Country Strong with Tim McGraw; Tim McGraw stared in The Blind Side with Sandra Bullock; Sandra Bullock stared in Crash with Don Cheadle; Don Cheadle stared in Oceans 11 with Julia Robert; Julia Robert stared in Flatliners with KEVIN BACON .
It's funny how you can always get it to work because Kevin Bacon has stared in so many movies.

4. Name the artist - This works if you have a satellite radio that displays the name of the song and artist and is really a game for the driver to play since the driver should not be reading the radio. Ok so you surf thru the stations on the radio and stop at a song - first person to guess the song and artist wins. I'm usually the one station surfing because I'm horrible at this game. I can sing all the words to most songs but I can never remember the artist and the name. Jim is amazing at it, sometimes he even shows off by telling us the year the song came out.

Enjoy these fun games on your next road trip.

Until next time,
Karri

Linking to:
It's a Hodgepodge; Blissful and Domestic; Delightful Order; Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom; Tatertots & Jello; Sippy Cup Chronicles; Homemaker in Heels; My Turn (for us)


7 comments:

  1. We always play the alphabet one, but I've now learned some new ones! Thanks. Visiting from Delightful Order (#250). You now have a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, enjoy the games. I also checked out your blog and I love it. You are so creative, I'm excited to be a new follower.

      Delete
  2. Love these ideas. I forgot about some of them. I am terrible at the Kevin Bacon game LOL. Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jenny. With smart phones the Kevin Bacon games has gotten easier. Here is a tip. If you work backwards using JFK as your 6th movie you can find a lot of possibilities. JKF had a ton of famous actors in it. Enjoy

      Delete
  3. I so remember all the car trips with my kiddos's (all grown up now) Love you ideas. Great ideas to interact and keep the kids busy:) Just dropping in from Homemaker In Heels to invite you to link this up to Freedom Fridays Blop Hop. Also check out my May 24th post when I co hosted at Katherine's Corner Favorite Things Blog Hop.
    One Place-Two Parties
    PS I am now following you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evelyn for the invitation to link-up. I will check it out.
      Karri

      Delete
    2. Thank you for Sharing these great ideas at Freedom Fridays:) I am totally reminding my daughters to check it out for their kiddos. See you on Friday!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...