Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

My July Reading List

One great thing about Summer is that it allows for extra time to enjoy our favorite past times. Reading is one of my favorites and I make sure to take advantage of my slower work schedule to get in as many good books as possible.

So what's on my reading list for July

First up-

Divergent by Veronica Roth (click title for Barnes and Noble)
From Barnes & Noble Site: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

I am currently reading this selection as part of a book club hosted by A Bowl Full of Lemons. This happens to be their July selection. So far I am really into this book. If you are a fan of the Hunger Games series, which I am, you will really enjoy this read also. I'm sure the sequel will be on my August list.

Next up:

Covenant Deception by Angela Schiavone (click title to view the authors website)
From the authors site: When a bishop is killed inside the Vatican by someone after an ancient artifact, a team is assembled to try to find the artifact and killer before more blood is spilt. In the process, an absent-minded professor and his archaeologist friend get swept up in a what could very well be a wild goose chase - but nothing is as it appears. When the professor goes missing, his grandson and his student must pick up the trail to find the professor before it's too late. History can always come back to haunt - even thousands of years later.
...and so it begins.

I am sooooo excited to begin this book because Angela is my niece. She is incredibly talented and I know this will be a book I will have a hard time putting down once I get started. Angela is also sharing the book for free on Smashbooks this month only. If you download book please write a review on one or more of the many book seller sites. The more great reviews Angela receives the more exposure her book will get. This is a self published book and I would love to see such a buzz that a big name publisher will want to take it on.  Thanks in advance.

For my spiritual reading I have chosen:

Flunking Sainthood by Jana Riess (click title for Barnes and Noble)
From Barnes and Noble: This wry memoir tackles twelve different spiritual practices in a quest to become more saintly, including fasting, fixed-hour prayer, the Jesus Prayer, gratitude, Sabbath-keeping, and generosity. Although Riess begins with great plans for success (“Really, how hard could that be?” she asks blithely at the start of her saint-making year), she finds to her growing humiliation that she is failing—not just at some of the practices, but at every single one. What emerges is a funny yet vulnerable story of the quest for spiritual perfection and the reality of spiritual failure, which turns out to be a valuable practice in and of itself.

I have been enjoying a few chapters a week of this book and I'm finding I really can relate to her. Of course I'm not surprised by this. My hope is that in the end I will be able to learn something about myself through Riess' experiences. 


These books should get me through to August, I'm sure

If you are a Barnes and Noble nook owner and would like to be one of my Nook friends just let me know. You can also find my reading lists on Goodreads or follow my I Love to Read Pinterest board. 

Until next time,
Karri

Click here to see my favorite link parties. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...