Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Great Recipe Books for Busy Moms

So I'm one week into my braces and I have to say, I have a new respect for any kid or teen who has them. They are painful, annoying and uncomfortable. The good point for me have been I that  everyone thinks I'm younger and since my career involves working with teens, I apparently look more like them now. But I now need to watch out when I'm out with Alexa so people don't think I should be on an episode of MTV's Teen Mom. Another plus for me is that I'm no longer snacking between meals, a habit I've been trying to break for years. Now that every meal is followed by a lengthy teeth brushing, I think twice before eating anything. Who knew braces can be a new weight loss plan. For all it's pain and uncomfortableness I'm still happy I've gotten them on. I'm looking forward to 2014 when I will be able to see my new smile and hopefully stop grinding my teeth which means NO MORE HEADACHES!!!!!! Keep me in your prayers during these next two years please.

Now on to today's topic. We are all busy mom's, and if your like me trying to get home cooked meals on the table can be difficult. So far this week it's been impossible. It's okay because I know next week will be less busy and my menu plan will work. Today I'd like to share with you some cookbooks I've used over the years that have been perfect for those nights when time is at a minimum. (If I was able to find them on the web to purchase I added a link to the title of the book)

My slow cooker is my best friend. It's perfect because I can put a meal together while Alexa is taking her nap in the early afternoon and it will be ready when Jim gets home in the evening, giving me time to play with Alexa during her most energetic time of the day, when I should be getting dinner ready.
Fix it and Forget It is a collection of recipes from women around the county. It's a great book to use because I can find many versions of traditional slow cooker meals. For example, if I'm looking to make my family a beef stew, I can find 5 or 6 different recipes to choose from. 

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Book is totally different from Fix It. While Fix It focuses on the traditional slow cooker recipes your mom and grandmother used to make, this book is much more contemporary and many of the meals are on the lighter side. 


Pampered Chef puts out many great cookbooks each year. I purchased the Busy Mom's Cook Book about 10 years ago and I still pull it out all the time. The Taco Ring recipe (pictured on the front cover) is one of our favorite Pampered Chef recipes. 

If you read my post More then a Soup, you know that these simple cookbooks I bought at the grocery store have been the most useful cookbooks I own. Next time you are at the grocery store scan the checkout counter for these small recipe books. Many will be focused on recipes for a certain product like soup in this case. Hershey's also puts out some great cookbooks with dessert recipes featuring Hershey's chocolate.

If your local women's club or your child's school is putting together a cookbook as a fundraiser be sure to get one. These three I have used countless times over the years. The great thing about these cookbooks is that the recipes shared are family favorites so you know they are kid and picky eater friendly. They are also recipes shared by other busy moms so they great time savers. 

I'm always on the lookout for new cookbook, I'd love to know what your favorites are.

Until next time,
Karri


Linked to:



SuzysSitcom.com

1 comment:

  1. Karri: I have the Pampered Chef busy mom's cookbook (I was a PC consultant when that cookbook came out) -- haven't used it in a while but I'll have to take it out of hiding.

    And I don't what I would do without my Campbell's cookbooks.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...